[Zope3-dev] Re: Reducing the Amount of ZCML Directives ready for review

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Mon Mar 20 05:15:12 EST 2006

Philipp,

I really appreciate your effort in all other cases, but in this case I
think its not a simplification.
The today's arrangement of class subdirectives is not an evil at all.
We use all offered subdirectives (including implements and factory)
heavily in our use cases.

IMO It's important that nested directives embrace things belonging
together. This enhances
readability of the grouping and reduces redundant
reference-informations. That's also a
very important aspect of usability.

I would be annoyed about the proposed changes.

Regards,
Dominik

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Dominik Huber wrote:
>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> * class/implements and class/factory weren't removed -- yet. I guess
>>> removing these might be a bit controversial. I'd therefore like to take
>>> this opportunity to bring this topic up again and to give everyone a
>>> chance to look at the proposal once again, before I start spending lots
>>> of time on the implementation.
>>>
>> I'm -1 on moving <implements> out of the class directive
>>

> Why? With a top-level <implements> directive, we get to deal with more
> general cases (not only classes can implement interfaces, functions can
> too). It will also let us get rid of the Five-specific five:implements
> directive for which there seems to be no good reason to be in the five
> namespace.
>
> With "Reducing the Amount of ZCML Directives" I'm looking mostly at
> consolidation of the existing stuff.

It's ok to *introduce* a top-level <implements>, but not to *move*.

>> and I'm still -1 on removing the factory subdirective.
>>

> Would you care to explain why? I couldn't find a previous comment from
> you on that.

[Zope3-dev] Simplify Skinning ready for review / work on Reducing the
Amount of ZCML Directives
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-February/018376.html
Dominik Huber
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-February/018384.html