[Zope3-dev] Making zope.app smaller

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Mar 29 13:22:57 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Obviously, I'm in favor of this.  I fear though that this will cause me
>>a lot of pain.  I'm in the middle of a bit of a geddon on the jim-adapter
>>branch.  The valuable work you propose is probably going to make my merge
>>a lot harder.  I hope to be ready to merge by branch in a couple of weeks,
>>but it's been hard finding time to work on this lately, so I can't
>>promise.
>>
>>I can think of 2 ways to reduce my pain:
>>
>>- Hold of on this work until I merge by branch.
>>
>>- Do this work on my branch.
>>
>>The second approach probably makes more sense.
>

> I was going to ask you about this on IRC. Now you beat me to it :). It's
> perfectly ok with me doing the changes on your branch.

Cool.

>>Either of these have the risk that I'll never merge my
>>branch, but I'm confident that I'll be able to merge well
>>before May 1.
>

> What are the things that people could help you with?

When I get a bit further, it would help a lot if someone
could work on the new registration UI.  If anyone is interested,
please let me know.

> I was going to propose to merge your branch now so that we won't have
> the concurrency pain. Last time I checked, all the tests pass; you only
> get a lot of deprecation warnings, but that can be fixed. Perhaps if the
> branch was merged, more people might be able to help.

I think this would be too risky given time-based releases.  I really
don't want people to check software into the trunk that they don't
honestly beleave is ready for a beta release.

>>It would be great to focus on doing whatever is necessary to
>>avoid including zope.app in Zope 2.
>

> This is what the proposal (http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MakeZopeAppSmaller)
> focuses on indeed.

Yup. I know. I wanted to emphasize that this would allow us to stop using
zpkg for Zope 2.  zpkg hasn't exactly been popular on the Zope 2 side. :)
I really hope we can use eggs to knit Zope 3 into Zope 2, but I fear I won't
have time to make this happen. (Maybe someone else can.)