[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 lacks Ajax capability?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon May 15 14:02:15 EDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:49:24 +0100, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> I looked at MochiKit and studied the Async package, but perhaps I didn't
> understand it.  I only saw ways for the client to sneak HTTP REQUESTSs
> to the server behind the user's back, but nothing for the server to
> reach out and shove something into the client whenever the server, not
> the client, decided it was time.  I'd rather not have the client polling
> the server for said data with HTTP REQUESTs.

I'm pretty sure the fundamental AJAX pattern is that you send
XMLHttpRequests on some event, either a timer (so it polls) or a user
action (e.g. an on-click handler). I've never seen the pattern of a
persistent connection ... if you have that, you may as well just write a
traditional socket client/server application and deal with scalability
there. :)

Martin

--
"You can just adapt yourself out of it..." // Archipelago sprint 26/04/2006