[Zope3-dev] Re: adapter registration question

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Nov 15 14:34:57 EST 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2006-11-15 15:08 +0100:
>>> def myStrAdapter(something):
>>>    return str(something)
>> It instantiates a 'str' object. The 'str' object is the adapter for
>> 'something'.
>
> Huh? This would be a severe terminology abuse:

I agree, it's bending the terminology a lot. It wasn't me who came up
with the 'str' and 'int' example.

>   An adapter should adapt something to something else *BUT*
>   an "str" object does not adapt anything (it does not operate on
>   another object).

Well, imagine

   >>> str(123)
   '123'

Here '123' is the 'str' adapter of the integer 123. It's conceptually
the same if you do

   >>> IZopeDublinCore(myobj)

except that in the str(123) case, you call the class directly instead of
using the Component Architecture's registry as a flexible dispatch.