[Zope3-dev] Re: adapter registration question

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Nov 15 15:11:02 EST 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2006-11-15 20:34 +0100:
>> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>> Huh? This would be a severe terminology abuse:
>> I agree, it's bending the terminology a lot. It wasn't me who came up
>> with the 'str' and 'int' example.
>>
>>>   An adapter should adapt something to something else *BUT*
>>>   an "str" object does not adapt anything (it does not operate on
>>>   another object).
>> Well, imagine
>>
>>   >>> str(123)
>>   '123'
>>
>> Here '123' is the 'str' adapter of the integer 123. It's conceptually
>> the same if you do
>
> That's the terminology abuse:
>
>    '123' is not an adapter because it does not do the adaption.
>
>    '123' is the *result* of adapting 123 to 'str'.
>
>    You may call '123' the 'str' adaption of the integer 123.
>>   >>> IZopeDublinCore(myobj)
>>
>> except that in the str(123) case, you call the class directly instead of
>> using the Component Architecture's registry as a flexible dispatch.
>
> With appropriate terminology use, you would call "IZopeDublinCore"
> the adapter and "IZopeDublinCore(myobj)" the ZopeDublinCore
> adaption (maybe adaptation) of "myobj".
>
> Again "IZopeDublinCore(myobj)" is not an adapter but an adapted value.

Not sure what "official" terminology glossary you're basing this on, but
we often refer to "IZopeDublinCore(myobj)" as the "IZopeDublinCore
adapter" of myobj". Whatever is called to instantiate that object we
call the "adapter factory" or "adapter implementation". The whole
zope.component API (both registration and lookup) reflects this use of
the terminology.