[Zope3-dev] wading through zcml...

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Nov 16 06:38:17 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:

> What's the difference between zope:view, browser:view, browser:page and
> browser:viewlet?

I would strongly encourage you to buy Philipp's book when the second edition
comes out, and read some of the available existing documents (e.g.
worldcookery.com, the Zope 3 wiki thingie).

<zope:view /> is deprecated, I believe, an old spelling for <adapter />
before <adapter /> could do multi-adapters.

<browser:view /> is about registering a new view, typically one that doesn't
render a page (so think of it analogous to where you may use a Script
(Python) in Zope 2)

<browser:page /> is about a view typically with an associated template that
renders something for the user

<browser:viewlet /> is about building viewlets, which are small chunks of
HTML that are aggregated into a <browser:viewletManager />. The DocTest in
zope.viewlet explains it all.

> I'm trying to register an adapter in such a way that I can do the
> following in a page template:

You would use a browser:view with a class deriving from BrowserView
(Products.Five.browser.BrowserView) and did its magic in the __call__ method
i believe. A more common pattern would be to have a method on the view
"render" that you call:

tal:define="renderView someobj/@@render"
tal:content="structure renderView/renderTheData"

> Also, why, when zope:view is described as a synonym for zope:adapter,
> does zope:view support an allowed_attributes attribute, while
> zope:adapter does not?

It has to do with the fact that in the olden days, there were no
multi-adapters, and views were special. Then they realised that a view was
in a fact a multi-adapter on context, request, and that this was a more
generally useful pattern.

Martin