[Zope3-dev] ZCML, functional testing and buildout

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 28 05:49:08 EST 2006

Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Christian Theune wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Thomas Lotze and I were working on creating a zc.buildout for one of our
>>> internal projects.
>>>
>>> The ZCML of our application is loaded using the 'package-includes'
>>> mechanism.
>> I think this is a bad idea.  I think for serious development,
>> package-includes is a bad idea.  For our projects, we *never*
>> use package-includes.
>
> Can we declare package-includes to be bad in general than and abandon it
> please? At least tell everyone not to use it if possible?

There are more opinions than just mine. :)

I think package-includes or something like an "egg basket" could be
useful for an application, like plone, that wants to support extension
by non-developers.  But for developers, I think direct zcml includes
is better.

I've been meaning to write up some thoughts on this topic for
some time. Hopefully, I'll find time for it soon. :)