[Zope3-dev] Re: Grrr. zope.org wikis are evil.

Rob Miller robm at openplans.org
Mon Oct 9 18:56:09 EDT 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>

>> I have some wiki desires of my own that I'll probably never realize:
>>
>> - HTML WYSIWYG Wikis that don't use any form os structures text (small s)
>>   and just use an HTML editor.  I think that structured text of any kind
>>   is an obstacle to Wiki use.  Moin moin's markup rules drive me as batty
>>   as old Structured Text drives other people.  ZWiki supports EPOZ
>>   editing and I'd love to see that used.  Of course, this sort of
>> experience
>>   avoids the need for preview or structured-text documentation.
>
> Wicked can do this, I believe, and it will likely (pending voting) be in
> Plone 3.0. You write ((foo)) and you get a wiki link to foo, regardless
> of text format.
>
> wicked is a bit AT specific, but whit is working to make it be more
> general, and factor out the re-usable bits. I'm sure he can chime in.

i can add a bit more to this.  wicked isn't really a full wiki implementation,
instead it focuses on the one feature that, IMO, is what really defines a
wiki:  the ability to very easily link to existing content, or create new
content if the existing content doesn't already exist.  notable wiki features
that wicked does NOT cover include the handling of any particular formatting
markup (wicked doesn't care), and revision control.

wicked was developed against AT, in that specific AT fields on specific
content types can be made wicked-aware, so that they support wicked's ((wiki
syntax)).  thus it becomes very easy to add wiki-like behaviour to any
existing content type.  we don't want this to be tightly coupled, however, and
some effort has been made to decouple it.  ideally, the injection of the
wicked evaluation, the wiki syntax (linking only, formatting concerns are
outside wicked's domain) that wicked honors, and the means for performing the
wiki evaluation (currently makes heavy use of CMF's portal_catalog for this)
would all be pluggable, usable in any arbitrary python environment that
supports adaptation.  considerable progress has been made on this front, but
i'm not sure what the absolute latest is.

if anyone wants to see wicked in action, you can play around in the sandbox
project on openplans.org: http://openplans.org/projects/sandbox.  the code is
available in the plone collective: http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/wicked.

hth,

-r