[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope Configuration Processing and Side Effects

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Oct 22 14:04:06 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> At:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ZopeConfigurationProcessingAndSideEffects
>
> I've written an informational proposal stating the goal for
> eliminating side effects, other than import, during the first phase
> of configuration processing and generally minimizing first phase
> processing. This will lead toward refactoring most existing
> configuration directives.
>
> I don't expect this to be controversial, but comments are welcome.

You only mention one example for side effects (putting a global object
into a module and using them later), so I presume that the refactorings
will mainly be targeting this case.

Do you already have specific plans on how to move the path
resolving/validating into the handlers, and how to provide backward
compatibility for 3rd-party directives? Right now the proposal is quite
high-level...

Philipp