[Zope3-dev] Re: registerUtility(component, interface) vs provideUtility(interface, component) vs provideUtility(component, interface)

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Sep 2 05:33:16 EDT 2006

Christian Theune wrote:
> see subject. What's the reason that all three flavours (still?) exist? I
>  just had a really hard time finding the spelling I need.

ztapi.provideUtility(interface, component) is discouraged and should go
away. I didn't do this for Zope 3.3 because of a lack of time.

zope.component.provideUtility(component, interface=optional) is a
convenience spelling for:

   zope.component.getGlobalSiteManager().registerUtility(
       component, interface=optional).

The order of arguments is the same. I think Jim wants the convenience
functions in zope.component (provide*) to go away in favor of the
explicit spelling through the global site manager. I think that before
we do that, we should first abolish the term "site manager" from the
zope.component API (because we don't call it site manager anymore).

Philipp