[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Sep 2 12:19:38 EDT 2006

Christian Theune wrote:
> But to be honest, I too often get the feeling that something in the
> process is wrong and we are failing to acknowledge it or work on it.
>
> I think we make it way to hard for people who want to use Zope 3 as
> developers making applications with Zope 3.
>
> Why? Because we keep changing stuff and don't tell people in VERY LARGE
> LETTERS about it.

Huh? When I changed stuff, I wrote proposals, asked for feedback,
provided deprecation messages and CHANGES.txt entries... What else do
you want?

> What worries me most is that I, although I'm contributing to Zope 3
> every now and then, even fall into this quite often and I'm getting
> tired of it.
>
> I can't read every proposal or every commit message or every post on the
> mailing list.

Reading the changelog should be enough.

> I try to, but I can't. And I think that normal developers
> shouldn't have to try to.

They read the changelog. That's why we do it, right? If no-one reads it
and doesn't find it useful, we might just as well not do it at all.

> When Philipp explained the zope.component thing in an earlier post I got
> annoyed again because I was relying on information that obviously was
> false.

You were just making a wrong assumption. You THOUGHT things were like X
but they were Y. I don't know what led you to the assumption, but it
can't be Zope's fault if you make it :).

> That's probably my fault because I didn't digg deep enough to
> verify the truth whether zope.component.provideUtility works against the
> thread local component registry or not.

Dig deep enough? How about digging ALL THE WAY (sorry, being ironic
here) to zope.component.interfaces and reading the declaration of
provideUtility:

     def provideUtility(component, provides=None, name=u''):
         """Register a utility globally

How is that not clear? If you don't read interfaces for what we provide
them (declarative documentation), then I'm running out of ideas on how
to satisfy you.

> When I saw that
> zope.*app*.component does that I got scared because it's so similar and
> maybe hard to distinguish.

Is this a rant about our development process or about the complexity of
zope.app.component?

> What I'm worried about is that we have to come up with a *MUCH* better
> way to tell people "What is *the single* way to do this or that?" and
> "Hey, we used to do it *this* way, but HEADSUP, now it's *that* way!".

I'd welcome any constructive suggestions. I, for one, suggested a
"What's new in Zope 3.X" article.  Baiju M started such an article
(google it) and I contributed a few things here and there to it. (Thanks
to Baiju, btw!!!)

> Again, maybe I'm only hitting this all the time because I'm living most
> of my live on pre-release-branches or the trunk, but still.
>
> I think if Zope 3 shall be used by many people, this is a major obstacle.

Whether it's many or just few people... RTFMing is all it takes for them
to get started. I've written a whole friggen book for them, for cryin'
out loud :)

> I hope I don't annoy anybody, but I had to get that off my mind.

Sure. Grab a cool beer, cool off and start improving the situation
tomorrow (and tell me how so I can do it in the future too) :)

Philipp