[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Sep 3 13:48:16 EDT 2006

Tres Seaver wrote at 2006-9-2 13:03 -0400:
>I'm OK with having "in-tree" code not use zapi, but I don't see a win in
>propagating all the mess out to the rest of the world.  I'll also note
>that "janitorial deprecation" is way too common in the tree today:
>people decide they don't like the name a method was given, and deprecate
>it in favor of the "better" name.  The ongoing cost of that deprecation
>is then borne by everyone else.

I have the feeling that almost the complete Python community is
abusing deprecations. I was hit by deprecations in the "email" package:

   The deprecation told me to use a different method, but this
   method was not a full replacement for the old one and failed
   in my use case. In the next release, my old method was
   removed -- but fortunately, I know how to recreate methods
   and silence stupid deprecations.

--
Dieter