[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Sep 4 16:35:05 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2006-9-4 16:49 +0200:
>> I for one prefer exceptions over manual error handling. And I prefer
>> straight-forward APIs over unnecessarily complicated constructs.
>
> But you probably would not prefer if these "straight-forward APIs"
> were continously changing.
> I prefer a slightly suboptimal stable API over one that is
> optimized in each version in a non backward compatible way.

Backwards incompatible changes are bad, I absolutely agree. I don't
think we've done many BBB incompatible changes in the past, though,
thanks to the "checkin" police who's watching over checkins and the
tests. We *did* have changes that generated deprecation warnings. But
that's something else.

> I do see the gain of moving out general purpose functions from
> "zope.app" into "zope". But, I would do it in a backward
> compatible way -- even when "zope.app" then contains quite
> a few trivial packages redirecting to the relocated packages.

This is how we did it. The packages remain in zope.app for the time
being, just pointing to the zope packages via deferred imports. Of
course, the deferred imports generate deprecation warnings when executed.

Philipp