[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Sep 5 08:06:09 EDT 2006

Marcus J. Ertl wrote:
>>> Not really, that for me is a non-backwards-compatible change, 'cos it
>>> requires me to rethink and recode, if not now then at some point in the
>>> future...
>
> Me too!
>
> That's a real problem for me too! Each time I revisit Zope3, it has
> changed very dramaticly! Old code, I wrote for learning Zope3 didn't
> work at all, I have do relearn Zope3 for new!

I think you're over-dramatizing. Nearly all of the code in the example
application of my book still works with Zope 3.2, so it can't be that bad.

> And I realy don't know, what I would think, if I had Zope3 in use on a
> productiv system? Schould I really change all packages each half a
> year to reflect changes in Zope3?

No, only if you want to upgrade to newer Zope versions. And even then
you have a year, not half a year, to upgrade. This deprecation period
was voted on once and I think it's a good compromise.

> Don't get me wronge, Zope3 is realy great, it has many good ideas, a
> clean design, IMHO it is the best application server out there. But
> it still changes to much to be usefull for smaller companies, or even
> people like me, for someone just want to use it for hobby! I would not
> consider the API as stable! Two much changes! Shure, they all make
> things better, but it isn't stable!

Wow, that's a lot of exclamation marks.

You make it sound like we change every single bit of Zope 3 in every
release. We all know that's not the case. Applications that use Zope 3
components such as Plone 2.5, for example, work both with Zope X3 3.0
packages and Zope 3.2 packages. So again, it can't be that bad.

Philipp