[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Sep 6 11:41:00 EDT 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> I agree. And as long as you move from one version to the next, it's
>> not a problems, since we have BBB-code.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't buy this. BBB code goes away, that means you have to
> deal with the churn at some point. It's the churn that's the problem...

Just to give some real data on this from someone who actually spent time
updating applications: the churn is there, but it's like this causes
absolutely massive amounts of work, and the deprecation warnings are
usually pretty helpful.

It took me a few hours to get the DocumentLibrary code ported from Zope
3.2 to Zope 3.3, for instance.

I also was involved in making Schooltool run with Zope 3.3. This was
actually following the trunk, but there was a massive change when the
component-architecture refactoring + moving modules branch landed. I
think it took me a full afternoon, perhaps a day, to get up to speed on
that. Schooltool is an exceptionally massive Zope 3 project though
that's been developed for a long time, so probably not representative of
most codebases. Usually it should be easier.

What's your experience with updating your Zope 3 projects, Chris?

Regards,

Martijn