[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Sep 6 13:19:32 EDT 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>> I agree. And as long as you move from one version to the next, it's
>>> not a problems, since we have BBB-code.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I don't buy this. BBB code goes away, that means you have
>> to deal with the churn at some point. It's the churn that's the
>> problem...
>
> Just to give some real data on this from someone who actually spent time
> updating applications: the churn is there, but it's like this causes
> absolutely massive amounts of work, and the deprecation warnings are
> usually pretty helpful.

I meant to write "it's *not* like this causes absolutely massive amounts
of work".

That said, in my case I didn't have to worry about upgrading content
very much. Upgrading a ZODB is probably the most painful of it all -
this is what Christian Theune seems to refer to with his reply
mentioning generations.

Upgrading content is also the most painful part of any Silva upgrade. I
imagine it may be similarly difficult for upgrading, say, Plone, too.

Regards,

Martijn