[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 6 14:03:33 EDT 2006

Christian Theune wrote:
>> What's your experience with updating your Zope 3 projects, Chris?
>
> I'll also jump in here: We had to try twice to upgrading a commercial
> project based on Zope 3.2 when using the 3.3 beta1, because so much
> stuff was actually broken in the release.

As you suggest yourself, those problems were due to the beta status of
the release. You can't blame these (packaging) bugs in Zope 3.3 on the
deprecation process. And I agree that we should've made a beta2 much
earlier; though you guys also could've simply used a checkout ot do the
upgrading, like Martijn seems to have done.

> Beta2 took probably about one to two days to get all developers up to
> speed, make their code work and write generations.

As Martijn said, generations seem to suggest you changed the data schema
of your application as well. That can't be attributed to Zope's
deprecation policy.

> So I'd probably estimate that the cost of upgrading was about 2-3k EUR
> for this one project (including the overhead of learning about the new
> changes.)

I wonder what's there to "learn". If the deprecation warnings aren't
clear enough, there's clearly something wrong with them. I tried really
hard to make the warnings self-explanatory, so if they're missing
something, please tell me so we can fix that.

Philipp