[Zope3-dev] Re: Re: Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Fri Sep 8 03:05:37 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro said the following on 09/07/2006 05:50 PM:
> On 9/7/06, Rocky Burt <rocky at serverzen.com> wrote:
>> My experience so far... after not having touched a project for over a
>> year and than the client wanting some work done, they usually expect to
>> have to pay to have it upgraded.
>
> Well, in any case, they SHOULD expect that.

Yes, but we're not talkng about migrating from zope 2.6 to 3.3. We are
talking about people experiencing issues between 3.x to 3.3 here.

Zope 3.3 is not a "major new release with deeply incompatible changes
from 3.1", at least not if you look at the version numbers. If it was
then it perhaps it should have been versioned as 3.5 or even 4.0,
marking the impact on existing code obvious. For both developers and
customers.

I think customers expect not to pay a lot of money for migrating from
3.1 to 3.3 for instance. No matter how long the period of time between
those releases were (this is an example, of course)

My 2 öre.

/dario

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley