[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3.2 maintenance

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Sep 8 10:15:17 EDT 2006

Hi Stephan!

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 04:12, yuppie wrote:
>> Are there good reasons why these changes were not backported?
>>
>> I volunteer to backport some fixes I'm missing in Zope 3.2, but that's
>> no general solution for keeping the current stable branch maintained.
>
> The short answer is: We are a bit sloppy. I always develop against the trunk,
> so when I fix an issue, I do not event think about porting it back to another
> release, other when one is imminent, like Zope 3.3 now. I think most other
> Zope 3 developers are the same.

I just re-read
http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ZopeDevelopmentProcess - the only
relevant document I was able to find.

Some of the fixes I'm missing on the 3.2 branch were checked in after
creating the 3.3 branch. The policy described in ZopeDevelopmentProcess
doesn't require backports to 3.2 after the new branch was created.

> Overall, I would really like to find a person for each release being
> responsible for backporting bug fixes. It would be a relatively easy way to
> contribute to Zope 3.

IMHO maintaining the current stable branch should be the responsibility
of all developers - if you fix a bug you should be familiar with the
issue and best qualified for backporting the fix. But if this is
resolved in a different way I'm fine with it - as long as the problem is
resolved.

Dot-zero releases always contain new bugs introduced by new features. It
is important to have always one stable branch that is actively maintained.

Anyway. Should I just go ahead with backporting fixes or should I wait
until a procedure and responsible person are found?

Regards,

	Yuppie