[Zope3-dev] Re: Roadmap for Zope 3.4

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Sep 12 05:34:15 EDT 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Thanks for doing this work, Christian. I'm in favor of going for Zope
> 3.4 on a timely basis.

I wouldn't mind that.

> Concerning the delay of Zope 3.3, I think we should consider whether
> we're not too perfectionistic.
>
> On the one hand core developers seem to be happy to use the trunk for
> development projects, and on the other hand we demand a lot of work
> doing bugfixes in a release, up to the point where we delay the release
> itself. That's a bit paradoxical - evidently the bugs aren't harmful
> enough to harm these developers much most of the time, but at the same
> time we consider them extremely harmful if they should appear in a release.

I've come to wonder the same thing.

> What about a policy where we fix bugs until the release date, and then
> on the release date, we actually release? Any bugs that are still in it
> are going to go with it.

Yes, provided we have a release branch babysitter who will spit out new
bugfix releases once a final release has been made. I'd be willing to do
this for Zope 3.2, provided people actually do their bugfixes there.

> Anyway, if the Gnome project can do time-based releases *on the date* we
> should be able to do it too.

I bet the Gnome project has members who are actually paid to do this
kind of release management, though. That doesn't mean we should postpone
a final release over and over again, just because we don't have the
resources. In fact, because we don't have the resources, we should
release a final anyway and catch up with bugs in, well, bugfix releases :).

Philipp