[Zope3-dev] Re: Release management refinements

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sat Sep 16 05:34:06 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 13:28, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Contributing to a community also means adapting to its processes and way
> of working. The process has been working well for Zope 2 developers, so
> I don't see why it can't work for Zope 3.

A couple of comments:

First, if several -- as in a majority of -- people say "I work this way W.",
then our process should be adapted to those people. Having those people
contribute less, because of an unnecessary barrier.

Second, Zope 2 and 3 are *very* different in this respect. Zope 2 does not
have the same testing story. In Zope 2 it was risky, if not impossible, to
use the trunk, because those large frameworks (CMF, Plone, ...) that had very
tight couplings with Zope 2 had to be adjusted in many cases.

Zope 3 is different, since the trunk is effectively as stable as any release
at any time, especially now with the even stricter trunk policies and the
desire to move packages out of the core. This allows developers to develop
against the trunk.

And even if the trunk is shaken by deprecation warnings like your
refactorings, most packages based on Zope 3 were updated within a week, even
large projects like SchoolTool and Tiks. This is a very strong statement and
warrants a different check-in policy.

To get into an even more fundamental discussion, I claim that the culture of
test-driven development weakens some common software-engineering practices,
such as release cycles. I think, and seeing our discussions it seems I am
right, that releases are marketing tools, not important software engineering
artifacts. Releases allow us to say, "Here are those great new features.",
write a magazine article, be slashdotted, and tell the client we are already
in version 3.X where X > 100.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the motivations behind releases, besides
those points. It allows other developers to have a set target  and something
to rely on, etc. Thus I said, it "weakens" the release artifact, not
"obsolete" it.

Regards,
Stephan
--