[Zope3-dev] Re: ISite misplaced in zope.app.component.interfaces

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 10 07:49:13 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Fred Drake wrote:
>
>>> I think "site" is widely understood term in Zope 3 now and everyone
>>> knows
>>> about it. We gain absolutely nothing by renaming it. I think "zope.site"
>>> would be a great package name for "ISite" and friends.
>>
>> Widely understood, yes.  Frankly, I've *never* liked it, because it
>> doesn't tightly relate to my more casual ideas on what a "site" is on
>> the web.  It compontent registry *can* represent a site in that sense,
>> but that's as much an implementation detail as anything (IMO).
>>
>> The existing APIs certainly can't change, but I'd love to see more
>> reasonable name used for a new package that's less tied to supporting
>> web applications.
>
> FWIW, I recently had to explain the concept of a "site" in Zope 3 and
> how a Plone site root object is a "site" that has a "site manager" and
> ... it got very confusing.

I've had the same experience, both with newbies and with Zope2istas.

Fortunately, we're encouraging the term "component registry" rather than
"site manager" nowadays. I think it makes the actual task of that
component much clearer.

If we then called sites "component sites", it may be easier to
distinguish them from a Plone Site root object or the website itself.