[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: zope.publisher/trunk/src/zope/publisher/ Generalised the skin support a bit to allow skins not only for browser but also

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 10 07:54:19 EDT 2007

Moving discussion to zope3-dev at zope.org...

Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
>> On Thursday 09 August 2007 22:27, Fred Drake wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't recall a discussion about this, so I guess I was too busy to
>>> notice.
>>>
>>> Is there any resulting documentation (a rationale), or can you point
>>> to relevant threads from the zope3-dev list?  I don't understand why
>>> such a restriction would be desired.
>>
>> I think it was a discussion between me and Jim during a sprint. ;-) We
>> noticed
>> that skins certainly would not make sense for FTP. When I implemented
>> XML-RPC, we did not think it was necessary there either, because XML-RPC
>> represents an API, not a UI.
>>
>> I just want to hear at least one use case why this is needed. I still
>> cannot
>> see it.
>
> The idea is basically to be able to mark a request in a very easy way.

zope.interface.alsoProvides(request, IYourMarker) ?

> In our case we have different sets of users. This is they could have the
> same login name but are different persons.

This is certainly possible with principals. Principals need to differ in
ID, but can have the same login. It all depends which principal the
authenticator plug-in returns.

Can't you look at request.principal?

> Of course, as a side effect, the xml-rpc methods which are not thought
> for a kind of users are just not there then.
>
> Sorry for not discussing this earlier on, but for us it just felt right.

I must say I find the idea of skins for XMLRPC a bit awkward, too. A
lightweight proposal (email to zope3-dev) would be appreciated to
explain the full rationale.