[Zope3-dev] Re: AW: relying on win32api in windows support ofzc.zope3recipes

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Aug 17 13:28:58 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 8/17/07, Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at enfoldsystems.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> > I am fine with requiring win32api, though it'd be better if it were
> > indeed installable from the python package index. Otherwise you need to
> > tell people to install two things (Python and win32api) instead of one
> > thing on Windows in order to be able to install Zope 3. Who will
> > volunteer to bug Mark Hammond? Perhaps Sidnei can, he's a Windows native. :)
>
> I would say pywin32 is a requirement for anyone that wants to do
> anything useful on Windows.

I've programmed a game using pygame and it works in Windows. Perhaps
games aren't "useful"? :)

> If an egg is the only way to install dependencies, then I would say
> that buildout needs more work. From what I understand it would be
> extremely hard to eggify pywin32.

It's not the only way, but it's definitely the preferred way. A
click-through windows installer is definitely *not* the preferred way.

Is there way to install pywin32 by grabbing some .dlls online and them
in the right place? (wherever that would be, I guess we'd have a
custom part). We can write a recipe that does that.

Why is it extremely hard to eggify pywin32? I guess it doesn't use
distutils? If it's such a useful if not essential requirement on
windows, why doesn't it work with the python installation
infrastructure?

Regards,

Martijn