AW: [Zope3-dev] Re: AW: relying on win32api in windows supportofzc.zope3recipes

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Aug 17 17:32:00 EDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 5:13 PM, Roger Ineichen wrote:

> Hi Martijn
>
>> Betreff: Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: AW: relying on win32api in
>> windows supportofzc.zope3recipes
>
> [...]
>
>> We're just talking about Zope here, and installing Zope into
>> its own buildout (possibly sharing eggs with another). This
>> means we don't care much about installing the documentation
>> anyway, just having the libraries importable so that Zope can
>> do its work on windows.
>
> Yes, but that's exactly the problem with the buildout
> process.
>
> The installation process right now with buildout is
> not able to deal with anything which is not a egg and
> it's horrible if it comes to 3rd party python library
> weher no eggs are available. At least on windows.

Windows compatibility is an important question.  Unfortunately, I
don't have anything to contribute to it.

However, it's worth noting to clarify this discussion that buildout
is being successfully used to install a wide variety of software on
*nix systems (I know of Red Hat, Ubuntu, and OS X). This includes
software that does not have eggs (such as M2Crypto)  and software
that does not have much to do directly with Python (such as libxml2
and swig).

Gary