[Zope3-dev] Re: ZODB versions / and windows eggs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Aug 20 12:48:50 EDT 2007

Hey,

> Thanks for noticing. I think we need to adopt a routine of building
> Windows eggs whenever we make a new release of a package that has C
> extensions. There aren't that many packages like that (about a dozen)
> and they hopefully aren't going to have that many releases in the future.
>
> I've built Windows eggs for the two you mention now using the MinGW
> compiler (nobody has objected to it so far, and I figure
> cheap-but-perhaps-slow eggs are better than none). They're up on the
> CheeseShop.

Thanks for these newer versions.

> MinGW, btw, is real easy to install and has helped me getting the
> eggified Zope 3 finally working on Windows when there were no binary
> eggs on the CheeseShop yet.

I'm worried about mixing eggs built with different systems. How is Jim
building his eggs? With Visual Studio? How solid are MinGW eggs?
Should we really rely on this infrastructure or do we prefer to use
Visual Studio as a community? As far as I understand the Python
interpreter is constructed with a particular version of Visual Studio.
It might be wise to ask someone with experience with Python
development on the windows platform before we commit to one way or
another.

Regards,

Martijn