[Zope3-dev] Re: ZODB versions / and windows eggs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Aug 20 13:57:17 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 8/20/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2007, at 18:48 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> > How solid are MinGW eggs?
>
> So far nobody can tell me, except that Andreas Jung, Hanno
> Schlichting and a couple of other guys seem to be able to use MinGW
> well.

That is good news!

[snip]
> > It might be wise to ask someone with experience with Python
> > development on the windows platform before we commit to one way or
> > another.
>
> Sure. I wasn't trying to commit to anything, I was just trying to fix
> a problem for myself in an inexpensive and convenient way. If
> somebody donated a VS license, heck, I'll take it :).

My apologies, I wasn't suggesting you were forcing anything on the
community, just recognized that we need to take an active decision
here.

> Seriously, it would be cool if we could build Windows/Visual Studio
> eggs in an automated way. Surely buildbot could be used for this, if
> somebody would make a machine with VS installed available as a slave...

Right, MinGW has a massive advantage here and unless we get some
serious VS help I think we may have to go this way, as doing so will
distribute our ability to build windows eggs much more than the VS
way. It all depends on how well MinGW eggs work in practice, however.

Regards,

Martijn