[Zope3-dev] Re: Heads up: major change in zc.buildout policy for selecting distributions

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Aug 20 14:18:24 EDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I'm about to make a new release of zc.buildout that uses a
>> different  policy for selecting distributions.  In particular, by
>> default,  zc.buildout will now prefer final distributions over non-
>> final ones.   If there are final and non-final distributions that
>> satisfy a  requirement, buildout will, by default, select a final
>> distribution  even if there are non-final distributions that
>> satisfy a requirement.
>> This release will cause many existing buildouts to use older
>> distributions than they do now.
>> You can change this behavior by providing a prefer-final buildout
>> option:
>>    [buildout]
>>    prefer-final = false
>
> How will this be versioned?

It is 1.0.0b29.

(The buildout version numbers are a bit of a mess, as I was
overoptimistic when I made the initial "beta"  release.  Hm, maybe I
should start using "e"s.  These could be eek release. ;)

> It'd be helpful if it were a different major (or at least minor)
> version than the current one, to make it easier for people to stick
> with a version that has the policy they normally use.

Maybe I should have, but the release is out of the barn.

If this ends up causing too much pain, I could back this out by
making a "b30" release with the old policy, although, I'd rather not.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org