[Zope3-dev] browser:page's for="" can be class browser:menuItem can't

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Aug 20 20:12:47 EDT 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 20:02, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:
> > On Monday 20 August 2007 09:45, Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
> >> Should we fix that?
> >
> > Yes, or just deprecate the menu stuff. ;-) The default menu
> > framework was
> > insufficient in every real-world project I have worked on. Menu
> > items based
> > on the context just do not work.
>
> They don't?  I have certainly found them useful in the ZMI.  As bad
> as the ZMI is for many apps, I find it very useful as a default UI
> and for groveling around in site component registries.

I think this is a very limited use case. In real applications you often have
the concept of global menus. Further, often I want to make a menu item part
of the menu of a particular object, but I left the actual context, for
example by traversing to an attribute of that object. Overall I have found
viewlets and the menu system we have built on top of them to be much more
flexible and they have accommodated all my use cases. Also, they are somewhat
more efficient in terms of look-up.

Regards,
Stephan
--