[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: zope.location/trunk/setup.py using pypi as homepage instead of svn.zope.org

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Aug 21 15:47:20 EDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Saturday 18 August 2007 17:03, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> * Please also don't forget to add a changelog entry in README.txt,
>> especially if you're adding features. If there's no README.txt
>> yet, this
>> is a good time to give it one. It should start out with a simple
>> paragraph and have at least one section called "Changes". You
>> could then
>> use its contents as the long_description in setup.py. Other packages
>> (e.g. zope.proxy or zope.publisher) can serve as examples.
>
> Why do the changes have to be part of the README file? That seems
> no good. I
> think a separate file is much better.

If you use a separate file, and you are going to create a source
distribution, then you need to have extra magic in your setup.py to
include CHANGES.txt in the distribution.  IMO, setup magic is bad.
I'd prefer to see simpler setup.py files and thus I prefer to include
the change log in README.txt.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org