[Zope3-dev] RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 24 06:53:40 EDT 2007

On 24 Aug 2007, at 07:05 , Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 24. August 2007 02:37:01 +0200 Philipp von Weitershausen
> <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>>
>> http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/
>> maintaining-so
>> ftware.txt
>>

> Thanks for writing this excellent "guide". However I am personally
> unclear
> about specifying the dependencies and their version requirements
> (but this is more a setuptools issue than a Z3 specific one).

You're absolutely right, this should be addressed by the guide. I've
added it to the "Missing subjects" list at the end of the document.
Dependency management also touches the whole "known working set"
problem that Christian mentioned in his document. We really need to
start thinking about it (a recent grok release made me aware of how
badly we need it). I will try and bring up some use cases for this.

Other missing subjects of the guide are

* version numbering schemes (I expect this to be a no-brainer, I just
need to write it down),

* the policy on backward compatibility and deprecation (Here I'm
planning on paraphrasing Jim's recent email to the list [1]).

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2007-August/023364.html