[Zope3-dev] RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 24 14:24:30 EDT 2007

On 24 Aug 2007, at 19:27 , Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2007-8-24 15:34 +0200:
>> This and other aspects are things I don't particularly love about
>> PEP8 either, but I value consistency over my personal preferences.
>>
>>> I do honor other people's
>>> decisions though, and would always follow the original author's
>>> style.
>>> Consistency is better than correctness in this case. (I usually
>>> tend to value
>>> correctness higher than consistency.)
>>
>> Well, this may sound harsh, but I see some appeal in actually forcing
>> a particular coding-style on everybody. It's soo late for anything
>> that has been started already, but I don't see a reason why we simply
>> can't say:
>>
>>   If you start a new project on svn.zope.org, it'll have to be in
>> PEP8 styling.
>>
>> The rule being behind this (as already mentioned above), that
>> consistency values higher than personal preferences.
>
> Sure, you can say it...
> But, you will loose some packages...
>
> I find it very stupid to prescribe whilespace rules and
> '_' separation versus camelCase spelling.

I wonder how you can like this language with significant whitespaces
and lots of underscore rules then :).

In any way, this is a guide, not law. I can't and won't force you to
adhere to the style guide. But I'll nag you and other people will
surely find it difficult working with inconsistenly style code. (I,
for one, find the ZODB externals *extremely* difficult to work with
for total lack of naming conventions).