[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Aug 25 12:08:04 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> We have 100+ packages that make up what used to be distributed as
> "Zope3". We have numerous more packages in svn.zope.org. Most of them
> are developed, released and distributed individually. We like to think
> this is a good thing (I certainly do). But currently we have a bit of a
> chaos [2]. It's not bad, but I fear without some guidance, it'll get worse.
>
> Christian Theune recently wrote a document [1] in which he outlined how
> we should get to a development process and what topics it should touch.
>   This document is very hands-on and describes actions that should be
> taken to reach these goals. I've taken the liberty to jump ahead and
> write down some current practices:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/maintaining-software.txt

Thanks for drafting this document. A couple of comments (mostly niggles).

 - At then end of the last summary bullet under "Repository layout",
   you say, "Release tags shouldn't be committed to."  I would say
   that is true *after* the release is announced.  Sometimes it may
   be more convenient to modify the tagged code during the process of
   making the release (see below).

 - The changelog should include dates for each release, formatted
   consistently (ISO short form is likely best, as it is unambiguous).

 - Under "Releasing Software", you specify what is to me a controversial
   rule:  "Increase the version number (in ``setup.py`` and elsewhere)
   on the trunk or the release branch to the *next* release."  While I
   realize that many projects are doing this, I don't like it:  I prefer
   that the trunk changelog contain an "unreleased" section for features
   / changes not tracked on the current release branch.

   In particular, I don't want to make it easy for somebody with a trunk
   or branch checkout to create a pseudo-release egg.  In this case,
   "speed kills", because sloppy release making punishes everybody
   downstream.

   I would therefore advocate keeping the 'version' tag on the trunk to
   something containing 'trunk' or 'unreleased'.  Release branches
   should contain 'branch' in their version, except immediately before
   copying to a release tag.  As an alternative (see above), copy the
   release tag and then change the version there.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com