[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.sendmail having dependency on zope.app.comonent

Michael Howitz mh at gocept.com
Thu Aug 30 08:19:13 EDT 2007

Am 22.08.2007 um 15:53 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:

> Michael Howitz wrote:
>> while looking at the dependencies of packages in the zope.*
>> namespace at gocept we found out that zope.sendmail depends on
>> zope.app.component.
>
> Just to make sure: If we ever had a formal distinction of the
> zope.* and zope.app.* namespaces, I think we've abandoned it a
> while ago already. So, it doesn't matter whether a package is in
> zope.* or zope.app.*, we need to take all interdependencies (also
> the ones in zope.app.*) into account. So all in all I don't think
> it's a big problem in zope.sendmail depended on zope.app.component,
> as long as zope.app.component wouldn't depend on a gazillion other
> things...

So, you suggest to leave this dependency as it is as long no-one
complains?

>> zope.sendmail needs
>> zope.app.component.vocabulary.UtilityVocabulary to define a
>> vocabulary for the utilities implementing
>> zope.sendmail.interfaces.IMailDelivery.
>> So we'd suggest to move
>> zope.app.component.vocabulary.UtilityVocabulary out of the
>> zope.app.* namespace because it is a generic vocabulary.
>> Possible places for UtilityVocabulary could be zope.component
>> (because the concept of utilities is defined there) or zope.schema
>> (because the concept of vocabularies is defined there).
>> zope.schema seems to be the better place because zope.component
>> does not depend on zope.schema yet.
>
> But zope.schema does in no way depend on zope.component.

Yes, you are right. So we would introduce a dependency from
zope.schema to zope.comonent.
The only way to get lost of the zope.app dependency seems to be a new
package "zope.app.sendmail" (including deprecation!). But there is
already a zope.app.mail which is deprecated and will be removed in 3.5.

Any suggestions?

--
Yours sincerely,
Michael Howitz

gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon: +49 345 12298898 · fax: +49 345 12298891