[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:35:39 EDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> That's is what I am most worried about. I really need to look into this to see
> how much things changed. Maybe not as much as we tend to think.

I think the changes will be substantial, both for Python code and for
C extensions.

A biggie is going to be the replacement of immutable str for binary
data; that gets replaced with a mutable bytes object.  It'll be good
to have, but the loss of an immutable sequence-of-bytes type seems
like a problem to me.

On the other hand, we gain ordinary string literals being Unicode.

I'm not sure what will happen with the standard library; it's just too
early to say.  I don't actually expect huge changes there, aside from
changes required by the str->bytes replacement.

  -Fred