[Zope3-dev] development checkout

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Thu Feb 1 05:44:12 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:59:00AM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> It's been way too long since I did that, but how do I go about getting
> an svn checkout of Zope 3 that I can develop with? Is there a how-to
> somehwere?

If there isn't, you could write one on the Zope 3 wiki.  ;-)

> I'd imagine it goes something like:
>
> 1 - checkout svn url you wish to develop with

Yep.

  svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/trunk Zope3

or

  svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/branches/3.3 Zope3

or replace the svn+ssh with svn

> 2 - do some kind of inplace build

By typing 'make'.

> 3 - point your mkzopeinstance-created instance at the checkout

I usually don't bother with mkzopeinstance, just symlink my packages
into src/ and drop a one-liner file into zopeskel/etc/package-includes/.

I'm not sure mkzopeinstance even works in a svn checkout.  IIRC I saw
a couple of reports of it failing when run from the checkut.  The
response usually was "you're not supposed to use it from a checkout;
run make install first, then use mkzopeinstance from the installation
directory".

> 4 - develop

This step looks deceptively simple. :-)

> 5 - run tests

python test.py [options]

(in the root directory of the checkout).

> How do I do 2 and 5?
>
> For 2, how do I do a suitable in-place build on Linux?

Make sure you have gcc, make, python-dev installed, then type 'make'.

> Are there still
> up-to-date pre-built binary bits for Windows that I can unpack? If so,
> where do I get them from?

No idea.  I ran away to more developer-friendly OSes a long time ago.

> For 5, how do I run tests for a module in the checkout with the
> testrunner, as opposed to tests for a module in the instance?

python test.py -s module

I am not sure if there's a way to make Zope 3 and its test runner notice
my packages without symlinking them into src/.

zc.buildout may be the answer.  I haven't used it on my projects yet,
because what I already use works well enough for me.

Cheers,
Marius Gedminas
--
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you