[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.app.twisted.main?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 12:15:37 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> As Jim pointed out in an earlier discussion [1], we would rather like to
> separate server configuration from the application definition (ZODB,
> logs, etc.).

That sounds like any work I do here will help...

>> - make twisted/zserver interchangeable through a zope.conf setting
>
> Like Jim, I would rather like to see (at least the HTTP) server
> definition thru something that's more general, such as paste.deploy.

I don't know paste.deploy and I don't have time or inclination to learn
it. However, any work I do will be aiming to make it simpler to slot in
different bits in different roles. What does paste.deploy do?

I was toying with the idea of trying to have an IConfiguration utility
such that ZConfig could be switched out, is that what you're talking about?

>> - refactor so that as much code as possbile is shared between
>> zope.app.twisted.main and zope.app.server.main
>
> +1
>
> I'd say that this should result in a general main() program that *can*
> (but doesn't have to) read the application definition from a zope.conf
> file,

Indeed.

> and does server setup (at least HTTP) through a general framework
> like paste.deploy.

Well, I'll try and make this code encapsulated...

> I would assume that this also results in a separate
> configuration file for paste.

Yay! More config files, just what we need ;-)

>> - explore ways of seperating some of the publication concerns
>
> +1
>
> For one, I suggest factoring the whole root object issue out of the
> publication (e.g. introduce an IRootObjectFactory utility that, when
> called, will return the root object;

How about just making an IApplication utility, or is IApplication too
specific?

> the main() program, if it has a
> zodb configuration, would register such a factory that would talk to the
> DB; others could do SQL or whatever).

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm after :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk