[Zope3-dev] Test layers for zope.app.* packages

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 6 08:40:44 EST 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:34 PM, Baiju M wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>  On Feb 5, 2007, at 4:40 AM, Baiju M wrote:
>>
>> > We have to add test layer for each packages in zope.app namespace.
>>
>>  I think we should. I'm not sure we *need* to. I certainly don't
>>  want to do this if it will delay full eggification. As I've
>>  mentioned before, I'd be perfectly happy to see a large zope.app egg
>>  containing everything we had in previous releases as a start. We
>>  could always break packages off later.
>
> I have created zope.app egg two weeks back (http://svn.zope.org/
> zope.app/trunk/)

Cool.

> I have used setuptools.find_packages function, so setuptools is a
> dependency.

I don't think use of setuptools in the setup file is enough to
trigger a dependency,
however, you should have used setuptools in the __init__.py file in
the app
package included in the egg and *that* is enough to triger a
depenency. (IOW,
if a namespace package is used, then you have to depend on setuptools.

I'm uncomfortable wiith the use of find-packages in this context.  It
is important
that the zope.app egg contain *only* packages previously distributed in
Zope 3 releases, excluding any packages that have been packages as
separate
eggs.

> Should we need compatibility with distutils.core ?

No, for 2 reasons:

1. You only use it in the setup file.

2. It is part of the standard library.  There is no point listing
something that is in the standard library unless it is also
distributed separately and we need a later version or need to control
the version.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org