[Zope3-dev] Eggification and some random files/packages

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Feb 19 06:02:57 EST 2007

I hope others will comment, but I'll make some initial high-level
observations:

- As I've said many times before, Zope 3 is both a library (really a
collection
   of libraries) and an application.

- For the purpose of using Zope 3 as a library, there is no need for
a Zope 3 egg.
   There is a need for individual eggs.  We also need to get the egg
dependencies
   right.

   (FWIW, my near-term goal is to get to the point that we can build
out our applications using the individual Zope eggs.)

- For using Zope 3 as an application:

   o It isn't clear that anyone is interested in really caring about
the Zope 3 application as previously distributed (aka ZMI or OFS).
I'm not aware that anyone has come forward to champion the Zope 3
application and, more important, take leadership for the Zope 3
application.  I certainly think that there should be some
applications of Zope 3 that are useful and provide examples of use.

   o It isn't clear that an egg is really the best distribution
format for Zope 3 the application, but that is really up to the
people, if any, who want to lead the Zope3-as-application effort.  It
might still be cool if there was an application egg that basically
installed some script for making instances.

Jim