[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.annotation egg

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 20 11:52:16 EST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>> The dependencies of the zope.annotation egg have been commented
>> out yesterday:
>> http://svn.zope.org/zope.annotation/trunk/setup.py?rev=72691&view=log
>> Do you know the reason for this ?
>
> I wish I did. The log message is pretty useless, unfortunately. I
> can only urge committers to answer the "Why" in their log messages,
> not (only) the "What". Most of us who read the commit messages
> understand the "What", but not always the "Why". That's what log
> messages are for...

Agreed.

Let me introduce Alex Heavner.  Alex is a student who is working with
me to try to advance some of the eggification efforts.  We're working
on trying to get to the point where some of our application buildouts
can be built from eggs without using Zope 3 checkouts.  In doing
this, he's trying to untangle some of the dependencies and commented
these in a moment of desperation.  This was a mistake that he is
aware of an is fixing (or maybe has fixed by now).

>> A second question on the topic: i am trying to use zope.annotation
>> outside zope app server - so far without success (problems
>> starting at the zope.app.container.contained dependency).
>> Can you confirm it is possible without writing my own
>> IAttributeAnnotatable implementation ?
>
> Well, we've got plans to make zope.app a namespace package as well
> and distribute pretty much independent packages like
> zope.app.container as independent eggs. I hope that this will
> somewhat alleviate your problem, though perhaps zope.annotation's
> dependency on zope.app.container should be made optional as well.

The dependencies are a bit of a mess.  I was working over the weekend
on trying to demonstrate how easy it was to use zope.component
outside of Zope and was dismayed by the tangle of dependencies.   It
is going to take some time, patience and dedication to sort these
dependencies out.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org