[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope Package Dependencies] This is just an experimental page

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.com
Tue Feb 20 22:48:01 EST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I don't know how to interpret this note.  Are you suggesting that
> these should be the dependencies?  I don't know what the relevence of
> the "flat is better than nested" quote or of the indentation in the
> list below. (Perhaps that was an accidental result of using tabs.

I was starting to think about reducing dependencies.  I used
`src/utilities/finddeps.py` to find dependencies.
Later I will classify those dependencies as you said below
(install_requires, tests_require and extras_require).
That quote is added as motivation for me :)  Now I have enough
motivation, so I will remove it :)

> In any case, look at what I did to zope.component.  In particular,
> see the use of extras to try to limit and segment the dependencies.
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/zope.component/trunk/setup.py?rev=72722&view=auto

+1

I think we can follow this line.

> Yes, I've commented some dependencies for the moment because they
> aren't currently realizable. :(
>
> There are a few things to note:
>
> - I need zope.component to be easily installable now. :)  In
> particular, for a course I'm teaching at PyCon on Tuesday.

This is a requirement for me also for 2nd March at FOSS.NITC :
http://www.foss.nitc.ac.in
I will be talking about Zope Component Architecture, I have 2 hour time,
but the audience may not be Python programmers :(
Any advise ?

> - I used a separate test extra to capture test dependencies.

Why we requires these two:

  tests_require = ['zope.testing'],
  extras_require = dict(

test = ['zope.testing'], ),

Let's use 'tests_require' for test requirements and 'extras_require' for
other requirements ?

> - The zcml support currently causes a dependency on all of zope. : (
> This makes it impossible to run the tests for the zcml support
> without a zope checkout.  We need to fix this.

May be I can help, any pointer to start?

> What do people think of using extras this way?  I think it makes a
> lot os sense for tests.

As I said above, use 'extras_require' for other requirements and
'tests_require' only for test requirements?

Regards,
Baiju M