[Zope3-dev] Re: Bug in zc.catalog.index

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Feb 22 07:38:08 EST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Jürgen Kartnaller wrote:

> Gary Poster wrote:
>> Hi Roger.
>> zc.catalog 1.1 is stable, 1.2 is dev.
>> The trunk of zc.catalog, and the upcoming 1.2 release line, works
>> with the ZODB trunk (ZODB 3.8, Zope 3.4), which is gaining some
>> tools to manage the two new families there, the 64 bit ints (L)
>> and the 32 bit ints (I).
>> The 1.1 release line should work with both ZODB 3.7/Zope 3.3 and
>> ZODB 3.8/Zope 3.4.  It sounds like that's what you want.
>> Currently pypi only has the stable 1.1 branch (http://
>> www.python.org/pypi/zc.catalog).  There's also a 1.1 tag in svn.
>> I'll make a 1.1 branch from that tag if there are any bug fixes
>> that need to go there (or you are welcome to if that helps your
>> development or release management).
>
> The current trunk of zc.catalog contains a change which is not
> backward compatible to existing catalogs and there is also no
> migration script !

True.

I wasn't regarding that as a necessity until we made a new zc.catalog
release: I regarded the 1.1 PyPI release and svn tag as sufficient
support for now.

I'm willing to change my mind--or, more accurately, I'm willing to
try and make a new release sooner than I would have otherwise.

I have one constraint: I don't want sniffing code (am I in ZODB 3.7
or 3.8+?) to go in 1.2.  While supporting migration is important to
me, cleanliness is also.

I just made a 1.1 branch (svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/
zc.catalog/branches/1.1).
For now, I suggest you move to that branch (or to the tag or PyPI
release!).  Meanwhile, we'll make a new version of 1.1 that does
contain sniffing code and also contains a generation script.  We'll
release 1.1.1 and 1.2.0a-rev(some revision number...).

The migration path will be as follows:

move to 1.1.1 (or svn up/switch to 1.1 branch)
run migration script
move to 1.2/trunk

I don't have an ETA for you, but we will try to have it in the next
day or two.

Gary