[Zope3-dev] Re: Anyone using zc.recipe.zope3instance on windows?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 2 13:37:56 EST 2007

Hey JW,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:

> I'm spending some time on making zc.recipe.zope3instance run properly on
> Windows. There're at least two issues to sort out:
>
> 1) Usually(?) Zope-3 is installed using the *.msi installer on Windows.
> The recipe should look in the "Scripts" sub directory of the parent
> directory of the Python executable for the mkzopeinstance.bat command.
>
> 2) The 'runzope', 'debugzope' and 'scriptzope' scripts have some extra
> (Python) path information patched in. However, '\' characters in these
> paths need to be escaped properly.
>
> Is anyone else using this recipe for deploying Zope-3 applications on
> Windows? Or maybe people are using an alternative recipe for this purpose?
>
> Are there any other known issues with running this recipe on Windows?
>
> Should fixes for these issues go into the current recipe, of would it be
> better to introduce a Windows specific recipe?

Note that Gocept also made an improved version of the zope 3 instance
recipe, here:

http://svn.zope.org/zc.recipe.zope3instance/branches/gocept-zconf-slug-dev/

It might be interesting to take that as a base.

My opinion would be that the current recipe should be made Windows
aware, as I think there is a lot of code that can be shared. It could be
that you end up developing a separate recipe but in the same package
though, sharing lots of code.

I also heard Jim mumble about wanting to do (separate? independent?)
work on the instance recipe as well.

Regards,

Martijn