[Zope3-dev] Re: Some thoughts on Zope 3, Zope 3 applications, and Zope 3 instances

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 5 10:22:54 EST 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
> [snip]
>> I think your thoughts resonate quite well with my own observations and/or
>> confusion. I would, however, caution against becoming over-zealous in
>> breaking things up. Zope 2, CMF and Plone are successful in large part
>> because people get started quickly. If it takes fifteen trips to the
>> cheese
>> shop to understand how to get a page to say Hello world, I'm not sure
>> people
>> would bother. Most likely, that's solved by having use-case focused (and
>> real-world tested) bundles or distributions that provide meaningful
>> functionality of starting points. It's also solved by having some
>> customisable "best-practice" components that are closer to the user.
>> Learning from such examples is probably the main way people pick up new
>> technologies and conceptualise how they can solve their particular use
>> cases.
>
> +1 here.
>
> Just splitting stuff up into little flexible pieces won't attract
> people. If our goal is to attract Zope 3 developers we need to make it
> easy to get started. We can also say that Zope 3 is componentized and
> flexible and all that, and this will attract developers too, but if the
> first bit is too hard all our talk about flexibility will lead to nothing.
>
> So, we need to do both: make it easy to get started, and componentizing
> for greater flexibility later. If we just do the first, we make Zope 2
> style mistakes and end up with a monolithic system that should be easier
> to develop with. If we just do the latter, we make Zope 3 style mistakes
> and end up with a well componentized system that isn't used a lot.

Agreed, we need both.  We should understand though that the thing I'm
calling (soley for the sake of discussion) is probably not a good
starting point.  IMO, it could be if someone was working on it.
I also think that it would be a find project on it's own.  Or maybe
there's another project that would serve better. I don't know.