[Zope3-dev] Re: Some thoughts on Zope 3, Zope 3 applications, and Zope 3 instances

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jan 6 07:29:18 EST 2007

Hey there,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]

> I would be worried if I felt that the Zope 3 community became only about
> components and left this "real world but generic assembly" work to "someone
> else" when no "someone else" would be interested or skilled or emotionally
> invested enough to care. In the Plone world, we have the focus of
> Plone-the-application that implies we have to make Plone-the-framework
> better. If things become *too* scattered, where is the focus of Zope3?

I think these are all excellent points, and I've been thinking about
this for a while. This is why I'm at a Grok sprint right now. :)

My hope is that with Grok we can inject some sensibilities into Zope 3
that focus more on getting things done easily and quickly. I think that
the basis built with an attitude of reusable and flexible components is
great to build a powerful "getting things done easily and quickly"
system on top. But we really really need such a system, and I hope Grok
will be more than just a new technology but will also help drive a shift
in focus in the Zope 3 world.

We have core Zope 3 developers here at this sprint (Philipp, Christian
Theune), so I have some hopes we'll succeed. :)

So, I agree we need what Jim proposes. We just also need what Grok tries
to offer. I think that as an open source development community that
wants to grow, we need Grok a lot more than we need splitting up Zope 3
into eggs.

That's not to say I don't want that and I encourage people who care
about this to work as hard on this as they like. :)

Regards,

Martijn