[Zope3-dev] Re: Some ZPT insights needed

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Jan 6 14:45:53 EST 2007

--On 6. Januar 2007 20:34:15 +0100 Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>
wrote:

> This kind of automagic unicode error defeating logic scares me. With
> Silva, we have a significant Zope 2 application that already takes care
> to output unicode to the page template engine. For a while we were using
> PlacelessTranslationService which has some hacks in place to do automagic
> conversion from unicode to an encoding. Granted this is the opposite
> direction than you are proposing, and my intuition is that your direction
> may be less scary, but I'm still scared. Not having unicode errors can
> make debugging of pure-unicode applications harder. Bugs sneak in pretty
> easily and you end up with non-pure content.

I share your fear. But it is fact that a lot of applications have to fight
with unicode errors and the common solution seems to be to change Python
default encoding (which is not a good idea in my opinon. People like Dieter
will disagree).

> I'd therefore like it if there were a way, application-root specific, to
> turn off any auto-conversion behavior. Do you think that would be
> possible?

I am thinking about providing some handlers with different behavior that
could be configured on a per-site basis (tied to local site managers).
However I am not so familiar with site managers so far so I am  currently
playing around and thinking into different directions). But you might think
f a handler that would implement the current behavior: throwing an exception
or or and handler that uses Pythons default encoding .....just some
ideas...makes sense?

Andreas