[Zope3-dev] How to debug zope3 if it completely hangs?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jul 2 15:38:47 EDT 2007

On Jul 1, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Benji York wrote:

> Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
>>   My question is easy: I don't know how to investigate the problem
>> when my
>> Zope instance is not responsive anymore. I tried to use PDB, GDB and
>> friends but without success.
>
> One of GDB's friends is strace.  It can be very helpful in
> situations like yours.  Use the -p option to attach to the running
> process to see what's going on.
>
> See also http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/Members/jean/zope-notes/
> debug-spinning-zope  and http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/
> Misc/gdbinit?view=markup.

Another option, if you are using zserver, is to (carefully) use the
Medusa monitor server and client.  This lets you telnet to the server
and get a limited Python prompt that lets you poke around at the
Python level.  Of course, this is a potential security hole if not
done carefully.  I used to find it very useful for looking at hung
Zope 2 applications before it was disabled in Zope 3 for security
reasons.

I would try what Benji suggested first and then pursue the monitor
server if that doesn't work.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org