[Zope3-dev] RFC: Don't need $Id$ string any more

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 4 08:08:26 EDT 2007

I originally wanted $Id$ RCS keywords in module doc strings so that
we could create tools that determined run-time version information.
Unfortunately, subversion makes using this a bit difficult, as it
doesn't update this information by default.

I think that, with eggs, this isn't needed any more.  To find
versions being used, we just need to print the working set, which
lists the distributions used, with their versions.

I propose we stop bothering to include $Id$ strings.  (Note that I'm
*not* suggesting we go out of our way to remove them.)

Thoughts?

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org