[Zope3-dev] Re: Windows eggs

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Jul 13 11:14:55 EDT 2007

>>> http://download.zope.org/distribution/zope.app.container-3.5.0a1.tar.gz
>>> http://download.zope.org/distribution/zope.hookable-3.4.0a1.tar.gz
>>> http://download.zope.org/distribution/zope.i18nmessageid-3.4.0a1.tar.gz
>> Are you asking that Windows folks run using these alphas as binaries?  I
>> don't quite see the benefit.
>
> So I guess you don't see the benefit of releasing Windows binaries for
> alpha and beta releases.
>
>>> I realize that those aren't final releases, but they (most probably)
>>> haven't changed significantly after these releases were made, which
>>> would make it a waste of time if I had to tag and tarball them just for
>>> the sake of a different version ID.
>> Doing proper release management can't reeally be called a waste of time
>> (that would include documenting exactly what *has* changed).
>
> Right. *Proper* release management. I believe we have a volunteer
> release manager for that and for Zope 3.4 it's not me.

Right:  you are asking that somebody do the release manager's job, or at
least part of it.  I was trying to point out that doing only a partial
job (making binary installers for alphas) is likely to be troublesome.

Note that under our proposed release regime, depending on an alpha makes
*you* and alpha, too;  is that what you want?

>> Again, what kind of Windows user are you expecteing (wanting) to test these eggs?
>
> People who want to try out Zope 3.4 on Windows, in particular those who
> want to try out Grok, the buildout instance recipes and Zope-on-Paste on
> Windows.
>
> We've done some Zope 3.4 alpha and beta released, why shouldn't we make
> Windows eggs for those so that people can actually *try* them before a
> final release?

Until somebody makes a "release manager" call that a package is stable
enough for beta, I'd be really reluctant to ask people to test using
binaries:  they won't be able to develop or apply patches to test fixes,
for instance, to bugs in the C extensions.

Making it easier (via documentatin, likely) for *anybody* with an
appropriate toolchain to build Zope's eggs on Windows would help, both
by removing the need to built them before a real release, and by getting
better feedback on platform-specific problems earlier in the cycle.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com