[Zope3-dev] Re: Windows eggs

Benji York benji at zope.com
Sun Jul 15 16:40:39 EDT 2007

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 03:30:22PM -0400, Benji York wrote:
>>>        Digression: syntax highlighting the diffs helps immensely.
>>>        Check out
>>>        http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing/branches/colorized-output/
>> I'm very much looking forward to that branch being merged to the trunk.
>
> Merged.

Yay!  I'm already using it. :)

>>  I have a feature suggestion: it would be nice to have a switch to say
>> "colorize output, unless stdout isn't a terminal", so piping the output
>> to a pager (or file) doesn't result in polluted output.
>
> There's a little complication: when you have test layers that don't
> support tearDown, some of the tests are run in a subprocess, where
> stdout isn't a terminal (it's a pipe), but all the output will be copied
> verbatim to the stdout of the parent process (which may or may not be a
> terminal).

The test runner could look at the "top level" stdout and pass the
information to subprocesses.

> It's not that hard to remove the -c flag when you're adding |less to the
> command line.  Or you could use |less -R and have colourful and
> scrollable output.

It'd be nice to have a -C option that disables -c for when your test
runner has -c included in the default options (as I intend to do with mine).
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer